The Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in Caldbeck parish on the 3rd and 4th June were a wonderful success! See the photos here
Malcolm Riches Reports
I wish to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped in any way with the Jubilee Celebrations. The planning started in July last year with a dedicated team of volunteers who shared out the responsibilities for (in alphabetical order) – bacon butties and bar, baking, bouncy castle, bunting and decorations, buying prizes, car parking, catering and washing up, chairs and tables from the school, church service and flowers, discos, face painting, finance, first aid, floats, fund raising, Health and Safety, History Society exhibition, Jubilee mugs, insurances, lighting, making rosettes, marshalling, photography, public address, publicity, road signs, rubbish collection, sports, table decorations, teas, and the televised Thames River Pageant. Wow!
I also thank the judges of the floats (both motorised and walking/pushed) and homemade crowns who risked upsetting many good friendships with the impossible task of finding winners, such was the excellent standard of entries.
The results are:
- Motorised vehicles 1st: Royal Garden Party (W.I.) ~ 2nd: Royal Family (Ridley family, Woodhall) ~ 3rd: Strictly Millhouse
- Non-motorised vehicles & legs! 1st: Queen in Wheelbarrow (Tony & Carol Bolton) ~ 2nd: Little Britain (Ewan, Val, Keiran, Ross & Holly Macfadzean) ~ 3rd: Whitewater Kayak (The Horne family)
- Crowns: Pre-school: Ava Fleming ~ Infants: Amy Hope ~ Juniors: Emma Glendinning ~ Adults: Angela Glendinning ~ Over 60’s: Shirley Rolfe
We were blessed with wonderful weather which warmed us all and ensured the non-stop sale of ice cream.
Finally, my thanks go to all the sponsors, local land owners and everyone who came along in vast numbers and created the wonderful atmosphere that permeated the whole celebration.
The photos taken by the 4 official photographers are now available for download – see above.
At the start of my Jubilee sermon on the Sunday I said “It is a real privilege to serve you all in a community that pulls together in a way I have never before experienced.” I meant every word. Thank you.
p.s. Small Jubilee badges were given to all the children on the day. If any young person missed out I still have some available.
List of Floats in Hesket Newmarket to Caldbeck Diamond Jubilee Procession – 4 June 2012
(in no particular order)
- Music over 60 years from John Bell’s Disco – Strictly Millhouse
- Trotters Independent – Trotter Family
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – Caldbeck Baby and Toddler Group
- Olympics 2012 – Fellview School
- Royal Garden Party – Caldbeck Womens Institute
- Group of Cricketers – Caldbeck Cricket Club
- Beefeaters Outing – Northern Fells Minibus and Groves Family
- Postman Pat – Steadmans and Kennedys
- Diamonds are Forever (James Bond) – Caldbeck Players
- Film Show – Caldbeck Area Film Society
- www.hilscarecrows.com – Hilary and Alan Mattinson and Jim Fleming
- FT Bananas – Caldbeck and Hesket Newmarket Fair Trade Group
- Wizard of Oz – The Wath
- Royal Hunting Shooting and Fishing Picnic – Wood Hall and Lofters
- Jubilee Beach Party – Caldbeck Young Farmers Club
In addition to the fifteen motorised floats there were lots of walkers, cyclists and groups in the procession including The Queen in a Wheelbarrow accompanied by her Royal Protection Officer (Carol and Tony Bolton), Characters from Little Britain (the Macfadzean Family) and a mobile Whitewater Kayak (the Horne Family) and many others in various colourful costumes.