October 2020

Skip past breadcrumb nav

Meeting Agenda

No agenda uploaded. Please view the Minutes.

Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes
CALDBECK PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the ‘virtual’ Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held via Zoom on Monday 19 October 2020 at 7:30pm.

Cllrs Attending: Tim Cartmell (Chairman), Paul Doherty, Norman Atkinson, John Brown, Paul Graham, Angela Glendinning, Alastair Macfadzean, Ian Shaw, Alan Tyson, Alison Young Poole

Also Attending: Mike Johnson, County Councillor and Acting Leader Allerdale Borough Councillor (to item 13), Tony Annison, Allerdale Borough Councillor,  Ann Doyle (to Item 4), Simon Smith (Clerk).

1.  Apologies

No apologies received.

2.  Minutes

The Chairman was authorised to sign the Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held via Zoom on 7 September 2020 as a true record, pp’d by the Clerk.

3.  Declaration of Interest

The Chairman and Ian Shaw declared interests in relation to Item 17d) payment of grant to Northern Fells (Chairman) and contribution towards upkeep of St Kentigern’s churchyard (Ian Shaw). Paul Graham declared an interest in relation to Item 12 as he had advised on the proposed tree work.

4.  Public Participation

The Chairman proposed that Mike Johnson and Tony Annison contributed to discussions unless they had a specific report to make and that items requiring Mike Johnson’s input would be dealt with straight after public participation. The Chairman then invited Ann Doyle to say a few words about maintenance problems at the Fair World Shop. Ann Doyle explained that the walkway entrance to the shop presented a trip hazard where the tarmac had worn away and left holes. Norman Atkinson reported that he had visited the site and agreed that the tarmac required repair which he would undertake. The Chairman thanked Ann Doyle for attending and Norman Atkinson for offering to make good the problem.

5.  Coronavirus

The Chairman referred to the regular updates on coronavirus pandemic from Cumbria Constabulary and Allerdale Borough Council. Following discussion it was agreed that the Notice displayed in car parks should be updated to reflect the rule of six and the recent introduction of three tiers of risk and associated restrictions. The Clerk agreed to revise the draft Notice to reflect the importance of maintaining physical distance and using recognised parking places.

6.  Provision of new waste bins in the Parish and littering concerns

The Chairman reported on the request for additional green waste and general waste bins to support the work of the lengthsman. Allerdale needed to allocate the extra bins to specific properties and it was hoped that the bins would be assigned to St Kentigern’s and Hesket Newmarket Chapel. Mike Johnson strongly supported finding a pragmatic solution to the Parish Council’s request and that he would ensure Ernie Davidson contacted the Clerk to sort the speedy provision of the requested bins.

7.  Caldbeck Public Toilets

The Clerk reported that he had received some costings from a commercial cleaning firm for servicing public toilets. It was agreed that the Clerk should forward the information to Allerdale to see if Allerdale wished to reopen the Caldbeck facilities prior to their transfer. Following transfer, the Parish Council would firm up the quotation so that the facilities would be open.

8.  Street Lighting 

The Clerk reported there had been further consultation about the removal of lights in Hesket Newmarket and that light No 5 on the back green would be retained and two lights (No’s 8 and 9) would be removed. All lights in Caldbeck would be retained.

The Clerk had contacted Allerdale, the National Park and Electricity North West to ask if they would make a contribution towards the costs of the replacement street light for near the Parish Hall. Dave Bryden, Allerdale, had said there was no street lighting budget. Mike Johnson reported that he would arrange for a £500 contribution from the Leader’s fund, conditional on other funding being in place. The Chairman thanked him for the support. 

The Clerk had written to Dave McGowan who investigated the Parish Council’s  concerns about the National Park’s handling of the planning application. The National Park had not yet replied and, given the savings the National Park is having to make, it was doubtful if a contribution would be forthcoming. The Parish Council could write to Geoff Davies to see if he had any suggestions.

Electricity North West’s costs are some £5,800 of the £7,300 estimate for reinstallation of the street light and the Clerk had asked if those costs might be reduced, given the public benefit from a replacement street light and that there is no longer a requirement for a pole to be erected as the electricity supply for the property has been moved underground. As Allerdale requested the quotation from Electricity North West, the Clerk is working with Allerdale to see if Electricity North West will offer any savings.

The Clerk has kept the property owners appraised of the position and asked for any argumentation that would help bolster the case for contributions from third parties.

The Parish Council agreed that a survey of parishioners and Parish Hall users should wait for firmer news as regards the costs and funding for the reinstallation of the street light.

Paul Doherty reported on the option of installing a solar/wind powered street light and the Parish Council agreed to examine this option in more detail whilst seeking to firm up the costs and funding for a traditional electric street light.

9.  Parish Maintenance

Updates from the previous meeting:

  1. Inspections of local highways and Caldbeck Parish priorities. Mike Johnson reported that he was meeting Phil Greenup, Assistant Director for Highways. He would take the opportunity to press for further resources for the Parish Council’s Highway priorities, as set out in emails from the Clerk. Norman Atkinson was concerned that Hesket Lonning had been marked up for repairs but many defects appear to be missed and that a site meeting would be helpful. The Clerk was asked to contact Matt Bish. 

Other issues

  1. Hesket Newmarket surface water/flood mitigation including work around the Green and development site – no further issues reported.
  2. Hesket Bridge land slippage – no further issues reported.
  3. Possible repair work on Banks Lane: Hesket Bridge to Millhouse – no further update.
  4. Possible encroachment of Highway Caldbeck Camping Barn – no further update.
  5. Barriers obstructing pavement at Riverside, Caldbeck, opposite the Oddfellows – work expected with the barriers expected to be removed.
  6. Warning signs at Faulds Brow and Wath Brow – site visit took place when Norman Atkinson and Alan Tyson met Ben Carter, Highways, to agree exact locations for the signs. The signs are expected to be erected in the next few weeks.
  7. National Park signage at Millhouse – no further update and unlikely to be progressed soon given the National Park’s requirement to find savings.
  8. Cycling accident near Cricket Club, Hesket Lonning – the Chairman reported that the Clerk had provided Helen Mumberson with a note setting out the Parish Council’s concerns about the state of Hesket Lonning over the last 3 years, drawing on Parish Council minutes, site visits, and key correspondence.

Other urgent matters regarding parish maintenance.

  1. Alastair Macfadzean reported that trees needed cutting back by St Kentigern’s as they were encroaching on the church’s gutters. Paul Graham agreed to take a look. It was thought the work may be permitted under an earlier application.
  2. Alison Young Poole reported damage to road signs at the foot of Snow Hill. The Clerk would report this to Ben Carter. Mark Binney had sent photographs of the other damaged sign that had snapped which the Clerk had passed to Highways and he would check on progress.
  3. Ian Shaw reported a blocked gully by Midtown Farm and excess water problems at both ends of Commercial Row. The Clerk would ask Mark Binney to look at the problems at the Commercial Row/Hodden Croft junction and would log the gulley needing attention by No 1 Commercial Row on HIMS.
  4. Norman Atkinson reported potholes Howbeck to Pasture Lane and Pasture Lane to Lonning Head. The Clerk would report this to Matt Bish and on HIMS where ideally individual potholes are reported.
  5. Alison Young Poole reported on possible lengthsman’s work for Mark Binney:
  • Cutting back this summer’s weeds from the north side of the green in Hesket Newmarket down to the play area.
  • Clearing the gutter sides from the stile beside Rose Cottage to the pond as it is full of nettles and grass. 
  • Restoration work where United Utilities recently fixed a burst but where Hesket Newmarket green has now sunken. Alison Young Poole would check the United Utilities contact and pass details to the Clerk who would ask United Utilities to progress the work. If there were delays, there was a possibility that Mark Binney might fill in the hollow. 

10.  Parish Lengthsman

The Parish Council was pleased with how the Lengthsman’s contract was being delivered and the arrangements in place. It saw merit in exploring extending the contract alongside the grass cutting contract, contingent on a value for money case being made. As regards the grass cutting contract, the Chairman reported he had told Elspeth Mackenzie that if she was developing a proposal for promoting greater biodiversity she should send it as soon as possible as the Parish Council would shortly be taking a decision on the contracting arrangements for grass cutting for 2021, including any change to contract specification. The Parish Council considered that any proposal would need to specify the area that would be used for promoting greater biodiversity and how that area would be managed, including any role for volunteers. If Elspeth Mackenzie wished to discuss her proposal before submitting it, the Parish Council proposed that she speak to the Chairman. The Parish Council agreed to determine how it would take forward grass cutting contract arrangements at its December meeting and that it would be for the Parish Council to consider the cost and operational implications of any proposal with Mark Binney.

11.  Hesket Newmarket Speeding Traffic

The Clerk reported that Steph Davis-Johnston, Highways, had asked the CRASH team to install temporary speed indicators signs but there was as yet no scheduled date.

12.  Planning applications and decisions

Application

T/2020/0124  Dyke Nook, Caldbeck, CA7 8EW Reduce height and thin growth on yew trees. The Parish Council had no objection to the work and saw no need for a Tree Preservation Order.

Decision notified

T/2020/0112  Howk Footpath, near Bridge End House, Caldbeck Lime Tree 2 metre crown reduction and cut back branches Application withdrawn 16 September 2020

13.  Hesket Lonning Footpath

Mike Johnson reported that he had asked Peter Knapton, Allerdale Estates Manager, to progress meetings with the landowners. He will write to the land owners as he has not managed to speak to them. Mike Johnson thought it would be appropriate for officers to visit if there were no responses to letters.

14.  Community Led Affordable Housing

The Clerk reported on proposed next steps: meeting Eden and Mitre Housing Associations with Stuart Woodall, the Parish Council’s architect/consultant who had prepared the proposal for pre planning advice; contacting Anne Hall, Coniston Parish Council, who has considerable experience of small affordable housing projects and would advise on the Parish Council’s role in supporting affordable housing projects; liaising with the land owners in responding to the National Park’s advice; and discussing with Allerdale whether the balance of grant can be used for developing the project. During discussions questions were asked regarding: the local occupancy unit proposed for open market sale as opposed to affordable housing in light if the National Park’s advice that an application would need to be for affordable housing; the mix of housing and whether there was scope to include any self build units; and when a Community Led Group might be established to provide leadership and the establishment of which might help provide better access to grants. It was agreed that some further work should be undertaken to develop the proposal before facilitating the establishment of a Community Led Group. The Parish Council agreed that Alan Tyson and Paul Doherty (Vice Chairman) would form a working group with the Clerk.

15.  Lake District National Park land disposals and car parking on common land

The Chairman reported that progress was being made, albeit slowly. It was frustrating that new obstacles kept emerging, all of which seemed immaterial but the good news was that the National Park’s Executive Board had approved the sale for a second time and it was hoped that the purchase would move to completion. The Parish Council thanked the Chairman for his persistence in pursuing the purchase.

16.  Report on Parish Website

The Clerk reported on the progress being made by Andrew Ward with the new website which was expected to go live by the end of October. Parish Councillors liked the look of the new site and were keen to see it fully populated. They wanted to ensure that the website would meet HTTPS standards for security and that people were asked if they would accept cookies and have the simple option of rejecting cookies. There was also a preference for the UK day/month/year formulation for dates rather than year/month/day. The Clerk would pass{ the feedback to Andrew Ward.

17.  Monthly Accounts 2020-21

The Parish Council approved the receipts and payments since the last meeting, noted the bank balances, and reviewed the budget monitoring report. It approved the payments of grants and contributions as budgeted and set out in 17d).

  1. Receipts
  • 8 September 2020 Interest £0.92 and 8 October Interest £0.89
  • 1 October 2020 Precept for second half of the year £8,215.00 
  • Interest Cumberland Building Society for 2019-20  – tbc

2. Payments

  • 7 September 2020 Mark Binney Grass cutting £1,084.00
  • 7 September 2020 Mark Binney Lengthsman’s contract work £320.00
  • 6 October 2020 Mark Binney Lengthsman’s contract work £328.00
  • 6 October 2020 HMRC income tax 2nd quarter £212.80
  • 6 October 2020 Simon Smith Clerk’s net salary and expenses £862.33

Bank Balances as at 10 October 2020

  • Current Account £20,787.64
  • Deposit account £108,552.77 including £98,627.80 for Hesket Lonning footpath

Payments of grants and contributions

  • Northern Fells Group Minibus £300.00
  • Great North Air Ambulance £200.00
  • First Responders £70.00
  • CAB Allerdale £50.00
  • St Kentigern’s £750.00
  • Fellview School £200.00

18.  Correspondence

The Parish Council noted items of correspondence received since the last meeting:

  1. Cumbria Constabulary, County Council: various coronavirus updates
  2. CALC: Autumn training programme; Allerdale 3 Tier Meeting
  3. Lake District National Park: Geoff Davies September and October report
  4. Allerdale phone box consultation – the Clerk was asked to reiterate the Parish Council’s earlier objections to the removal of the public phone boxes
  5. Woodland Management Plan, Woodhall – the Clerk was asked to write to Peter Fox setting out the Parish Council’s concerns about possible damage to verges and road surfaces.

19. Date of next meeting and draft dates for 2021

7 December 2020 

Draft dates for 2021:

11 January 2021 (published)

15 February 2021

22 March 2021 (Easter Monday is 5 April)

10 May 2021 (early May bank holiday is 3 May) 14 June 2021

26 July 2021

6 September 2021

18 October 2021

6 December 2021

10 January 2022

The meeting ended at 9:25.

Agenda

NOTICE of the Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council to be held on line via Zoom on Monday 19th October which takes place at 7:30pm.

Zoom Meeting ID: 876 6263 5148 (passcode 089953)

1. Apologies

To receive apologies for absence.

2. Minutes

To authorise the Chairman to sign the minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held on 7 September 2020 as a true record.

To note the meeting with Mike Johnson, County Councillor and Acting Leader Allerdale Borough Council, and Tony Annison, Allerdale Borough Councillor held on 23 September 2020.

3. Declaration of Interest

Request for Dispensations: the Clerk to report any requests received since the previous meeting for dispensations to speak and/or vote on any matter where a member has a disclosable pecuniary interest.

To receive any other declarations by members of interests in respect of items on this agenda.

4. Public Participation

At the Chairman’s discretion, to allow members of the public an opportunity to ask questions and raise matters of interest.

  • Report from Mike Johnson, County Councillor.
  • Report from Tony Annison, Allerdale Borough Councillor.
  • Questions or matters of interest raised by residents.

5. Coronavirus

Update on coronavirus pandemic from Cumbria Constabulary, County Council and Allerdale Borough Council and consideration of Notices.

6. Provision of new waste bins in the Parish and littering concerns

Update on progress since last meeting.

7. Caldbeck Public Toilets

Update on transfer of public toilets from Allerdale Borough Council and ongoing arrangements.

8. Street Lighting

Update on progress since last meeting – reinstallation of light near Calva/Parish Hall

9. Parish Maintenance

Updates from the previous meeting:

  • Inspections of local highways and Caldbeck Parish priorities
  • Other issues
    • Hesket Newmarket surface water/flood mitigation including work around the Green and development site;
    • Hesket Bridge land slippage;
    • Possible repair work on Banks Lane – Hesket Bridge to Millhouse;
    • Possible encroachment of Highway Caldbeck Camping Barn;
    • Barriers obstructing pavement at Riverside, Caldbeck, opposite the Oddfellows;
    • Warning signs at Faulds Brow and Wath Brow – issues raised with County Council;
    • National Park signage at Millhouse;
    • Cycling accident near Cricket Club, Hesket Lonning.

To consider any other urgent matters regarding parish maintenance.

10. Parish Lengthsman

Update on progress since last meeting.

11. Hesket Newmarket Speeding Traffic

Update on progress since the last meeting.

12. Planning applications and decisions

Applications

T/2020/0124 Dyke Nook, Caldbeck, CA7 8EW
Reduce height and thin growth on yew trees.

Decisions notified

T/2020/0112 Howk Footpath, near Bridge End House, Caldbeck
Lime tree, 2-metre crown reduction and cut back branches. Application withdrawn 16 September 2020.

13. Hesket Lonning Footpath

Update on progress since the last meeting.

14. Community Led Affordable Housing

Update on progress since last meeting.

15. Lake District National Park land disposals and car parking on common land

Update on progress since last meeting and proposals to install collection boxes at other car parking sites.

16. Report on Parish Website

To receive a report on the updating of the Parish Website and compliance with latest requirements.

17. Monthly Accounts 2020-21

To approve the receipts and payments since the last meeting and note bank balances and review budget monitoring report and to approve the payments of grants as budgeted.

Receipts:

  • 8 September 2020 Interest £0.92 and 8 October Interest £0.89
  • 1 October 2020 Precept for second half of the year £8,215.00
  • Interest Cumberland Building Society for 2019-20 – tbc

Payments:

  • 7 September 2020 Mark Binney Grass cutting £1,084.00
  • 7 September 2020 Mark Binney Lengthsman’s contract work £320.00
  • 6 October 2020 Mark Binney Lengthsman’s contract work £328.00
  • 6 October 2020 HMRC income tax 2nd quarter £212.80
  • 6 October 2020 Simon Smith Clerk’s net salary and expenses £862.33

Bank Balances as at 10 October 2020:

  • Current Account £20,787.64
  • Deposit account £108,552.77 including £98,627.80 for Hesket Lonning footpath

Payments of grants and contributions:

  • Northern Fells Group Minibus £300.00
  • Great North Air Ambulance £200.00
  • First Responders £70.00
  • CAB Allerdale £50.00
  • St Kentigern’s £750.00
  • Fellview School £200.00 – this has not been requested so I will contact the school

18. Correspondence

To note items of correspondence received since the last meeting:

  • Cumbria Constabulary, County Council: various coronavirus updates
  • CALC: Autumn training programme; Allerdale 3 Tier Meeting
  • Lake District National Park: Geoff Davies September report
  • Allerdale phone box consultation

19. Meeting Dates

Set dates:

  • 7 December 2020
  • 11 January 2021

Draft dates for 2021:

  • 15 February 2021
  • 22 March 2021 (Easter Monday is 5 April)
  • 10 May 2021 (early May bank holiday is 3 May)
  • 14 June 2021
  • 26 July 2021
  • 6 September 2021
  • 18 October 2021
  • 6 December 2021
  • 10 January 2022

The pattern is broadly similar to 2020 but the May meeting is brought forward a week for better spacing between meetings and following 2020’s VE Day bank holiday.

The intention is for the meeting to end by 9:30pm.

Signed: Simon Smith – Clerk
Dated 13 October 2020

Attachment List

# Filename Description Link
1 File icon Zoom Meeting Note 23.9.20 View / Download